- The new system will come into effect on January 1, 2021.
- Tier 1 and Tier 2 criteria.
- The minimum points needed is 70.
On February 19th, UK unveiled its new points based immigration system. The system is very similar to the current Canadian immigration system. The post-Brexit period will end by the end of 2020.
The new system will come into effect on January 1, 2021. This will mean controlled border access points. Unskilled labor by foreign nationals will be absolute banned. It would also mean that former Soviet Baltic republic nationals will no longer have access to such jobs. It would add additional poverty to Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia. Even though they get aid and funding for being NATO strategic locations. It would hit their economy, due to an immediate decrease in spending.
The system existed already for individuals who are from the counties outside of the European Union. Since BREXIT, it would apply to everyone. The UK has a 5-tier system. Tier 3 is pretty much eliminated for unskilled labor. The system always existed, but now will apply to everyone and the UK will no longer have open borders and work opportunities for EU nations.
“The points system is designed to attract the necessary talent to the UK. Qualified workers will have to meet a number of criteria in order to be eligible to work in the country, including certain skills and the ability to speak English. All applicants will need to have a job offer and, in accordance with the recommendations of the migration Advisory Council, the minimum wage will be set at 25.6 thousand pounds,” the report says.
Previously, the minimum annual salary of a foreigner required to obtain a work visa was 30 thousand pounds. The new system does not provide opportunities for low-skilled professionals.
“It is estimated that 70% of the current EU workforce does not meet the requirements that will be imposed on qualified professionals, which will help reduce the overall numbers in the future,” the interior Ministry said.
At the same time, the government refuses (from the previous goal) to reduce the net inflow of migrants to 100 thousand per year. The new system, according to the government, is designed to equalize the rights of migrants from EU countries with all other foreigners. The interior Ministry emphasizes that it is only about restrictions on working in the country.
“EU citizens and citizens of countries that do not require a visa will be able to visit the UK without a visa for up to 6 months,” the report says.
Under the new system, it would be only Tier 1 and Tier 2 levels that will able to have access to the UK labour market.
Tier 1 visas are for particularly exceptional peoples who can contribute significantly to the UK as well as investors and entrepreneurs.
Tier 2 is used for the Skilled Worker system.
Interested parties who want to work in the UK will need to score minimum of 70 points to gain a necessary visa.
- A job offer grants an applicant automatic 50 points, but the caveat is it has to be approved by the Migration Advisory Committee. The Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) is an independent, non-statutory, non-time limited, non-departmental public body that advises the government on migration issues. The MAC is made up of a chair and 5 other independent economists, who have been appointed under rules relating to public appointments laid down by the Office of the Commissioner for Public Appointments (OCPA).
- The applicant also has to have a satisfactory command of the English language.
- Additional 20 points can be gained by the job offer which is at least £25,600.
- 10 points can be earned for relevant PhD.
- 20 points can be earned if the PhD specifically in STEM.
- Additional 20 points if the job offer in the high demand sector in the UK.
The student visa process is unclear and the investment category has not been discussed publicly as of yet.