- The United States urges all countries to refrain from selling or transferring weapons directly or indirectly to Iran.
- That the arms embargo is set to expire is one of the sharp objections of the US government to the nuclear deal reached in 2015.
- Diplomats expect a lot of negotiations and controversy over the draft resolution of the United States in the next few months in the UN Security Council.
News reports quoted diplomatic sources as saying that the United States had submitted a draft resolution to the UN Security Council calling for a continued unrestricted arms embargo on Iran. Iran’s arms embargo, under the IAEA Board, continues until October of this year.
According to a copy of the draft, the United States urges all countries to refrain from selling or transferring weapons directly or indirectly to Iran, and from Iran to other countries, unless the Security Council Committee does so 30 days in advance. This is on a case by case basis.
That the arms embargo is set to expire is one of the sharp objections of the US government to the nuclear deal reached in 2015 between Iran and the P5 + 1. The governments of France, Britain, and Germany have made less rigorous proposals for continuing Iran’s arms embargo, and have called for the sanctions to be extended for another three years. China and Russia are opposed to the US proposal.
News sources report that the United States proposed Monday that Russia and China, two other permanent members of the Security Council, had already announced their support for extending Iran’s arms embargo. They don’t, because they blame President Donald Trump for unilaterally withdrawing from the nuclear deal.
Security Council Embroiled in Controversy
According to the report, diplomats expect a lot of negotiations and controversy over the draft resolution of the United States in the next few months in the UN Security Council. The United States has threatened to use the “mechanism to restore sanctions” in the nuclear deal if it fails to advance the extension of Iran’s arms embargo indefinitely. In that case, all UN sanctions against Iran will be reinstated.
Diplomatic sources told reporters that talks on the Security Council resolution would begin tomorrow, Wednesday. Earlier this June, US Ambassador to the United Nations Kelly Kraft told reporters that the draft resolution had already been submitted to allies close to the United States, and Russia and would soon be available to other members of the Security Council.
In its draft resolution, the United States cited the latest report by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres that the source of the missile and drone strikes on Saudi oil facilities (Aramco) in 2019 was Iran.
The draft resolution emphasizes “grave concern about the threat of these attacks to global energy resources, freedom of movement of ships in the region, the safety of those working in the energy, maritime and environmental sectors,” and Iran as a “threat to peace and security.”
Following the announcement by the United Nations, which blamed Iran for the attack on Aramco, the Islamic Republic denied the allegations. Iran said the UN “lacks the capacity, expertise, and knowledge to conduct such complex and sensitive investigations.”
Iran Rejects Negotiations with the United States
Fars News Agency quoted Hussein Dehghan, a military advisor to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, as saying on Monday that the Islamic Republic “rejects any negotiations on missile systems,” and continues its “regional policies” to this day.
He told Al Jazeera that Trump was not the President, but a “criminal,” and that any move in the waters of the Persian Gulf by the United States against Iran would be met with a “comprehensive response.” Dehghan has also said that Iran is ready to talk to Saudi Arabia without preconditions.
It is not only the United States that is concerned about the continuation of Iran’s regional policies. The three countries— France, Germany, and the United Kingdom— issued a statement in Berlin on Friday, calling for the lifting of arms embargoes on Iran in October, and calling for the sanctions to continue until 2023. The three also stressed their commitment to the agreement.
The statement drew strong reactions from Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. Zarif, who accused the three countries of succumbing to US pressure. The Kayhan government newspaper also stepped forward.
The lifting of the sanctions phase is enshrined in UN Security Council Resolution 2231. At the end of its report, Bloomberg wrote that with the expiration of the arms embargo, Iran could normally receive conventional weapons from China and Russia. However, the Pentagon has warned that Iran could also buy advanced weapons systems that it cannot afford.