- Sleep paralysis is a common condition in young adults, generally associated with other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy
- Some of the factors driving the growth of the sleep paralysis treatment market include lifestyle changes.
- Generally physicians do not prescribe a treatment for sleep paralysis. However, physicians treat the underlying conditions.
Sleep paralysis is a condition in which the patient has a feeling of being conscious but is unable to move. This happens when the body does not move smoothly through the stages of sleep. Sleep paralysis is a common condition in young adults and is generally associated with other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy.
Sleep paralysis is of two types, if sleep paralysis occurs while falling asleep then it is called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis, where as if it occurs while waking up it is known as hypnopompic or postdormital sleep paralysis.
Generally physicians do not prescribe a treatment for sleep paralysis. However, physicians treat the underlying conditions such as narcolepsy. Stimulants are generally prescribed for sleep paralysis treatment. These include drugs that stimulate the CNS.
The most common stimulants used for sleep paralysis treatment are modafinil and armodafinil. Some physicians also prescribe SSRIs for sleep paralysis treatment since this medication suppress REM sleep that helps alleviate the symptoms of sleep paralysis. Tricyclic antidepressants are also prescribed some times for sleep paralysis treatment. Some of the most common types of antidepressants prescribed for sleep paralysis treatment are protriptyline, imipramine and clomipramine. However these have other side effects including, dry mouth and lightheadedness.
- Buy Research Report: Food Service Disposables Market Analysis
- Buy Research Report: Role Playing Games Market Industry Growth Analysis, Size, Share, Trends Forecasts To 2023
- Buy Research Report: Portable Thermal Imagers Market Is Expected To Witness CAGR Of 8.9% During The Forecast Period (2019-2027) – Coherent Market Insights | Coherent Market Insight.
- Buy Research Report: Interior Automobile Accessories Market Analysis 2020 | Forecast till 2027
- Buy Research Report: Bromine Derivatives Market Overview |Size, COVID-19 Impact, Share, Segment, Regional Analysis and Leading Players by Forecast to 2024
Sodium oxybate is also used for sleep paralysis treatment that is highly effective for cataplexy. The drug helps improve sleep at night which is often a concern in narcolepsy. However these may have some side effects such as nausea, and bed wetting.
Some of the emerging treatments for sleep paralysis treatment through the treatment of narcolepsy include products that act on histamine chemical systems, hypocretin gene therapy, immunotherapy and hypocretin replacement.
The sleep paralysis treatment market can be segmented into stimulants, SSRIs, antidepressants and sodium oxybate based on the type of drug used. Based on Distribution channel the sleep paralysis treatment market can be segmented into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies and sleep clinic pharmacies. Stimulants are the most common type of drugs that are prescribed for sleep paralysis treatment. However, the sleep paralysis treatment may vary based on the type of underlying condition. Hospital pharmacies lead the sleep paralysis treatment market based on distribution channel.
Some of the factors driving the growth of the sleep paralysis treatment market globally include, lifestyle changes leading to a number of mental ailments, rise in prevalence of sleep disorders, increase in R&D funding and associated activities, and rising awareness. However, reluctance to meet sleep experts or psychiatrists, rising cost of treatment, significantly stringent regulations for approvals of drugs, and pricing pressure from generics are some of the factors that may hinder the growth of the sleep paralysis treatment market significantly during the forecast period.
North America, followed by Europe, is expected to hold the maximum share in the sleep paralysis market. Some of the factors that drive the growth of the market in these regions include, increasing awareness, rise in sleep disorders, and increase in R&D activity for sleep disorders. China & India are developing pharmaceutical products and are expected to contribute significantly for the growth of the sleep paralysis treatment market in the Asia Pacific region.
Some of the key players operating in the sleep paralysis treatment market are Cephalon Inc., Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc., Eli Lilly and Company, Pfizer Inc, and Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, among others.