- Houthi-run Almasirah TV quoted a spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces saying that thousands were captured during a nationwide attack on Saudi Arabia.
- Reuters news agency also reported that the Iranian-backed group in Yemen claimed to have arrested several Saudi army officers.
- As of Sunday afternoon, independent sources have not confirmed the alleged Houthi attack on Najran in southwestern Saudi Arabia, and Riyadh has remained silent.
Houthi militants claim to have captured many militants during a massive attack on the southern border of Saudi Arabia. So far, no independent sources have confirmed the news, and Saudi Arabia has been silent. Yemeni Houthis say they conducted the largest military operation against the Saudi-led coalition forces during the three days ending on Saturday, and have “liberated” hundreds of square kilometers of areas under their control.
Houthi-run Almasirah TV quoted a spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, saying that thousands were captured during a nationwide attack on Saudi Arabia. He said hundreds have been killed and many injured. He said the operation, carried out in the Najran border area, was the largest Houthi military operation since the “invasion of their land” began, during which three brigades of the Saudi army were besieged.
The Houthi military spokesman added that a significant amount of military equipment and vehicles were also captured during the operation. He noted that militants in the campaign had the support of missiles, air and drone units. “The operation resulted in the complete destruction of three military brigades of the enemy (Saudi) forces, seizure of large quantities of military equipment, including hundreds of vehicles and armored vehicles, capture of thousands of enemy forces, mostly traitors and the beguiled (Saudi-sponsored Yemeni militiamen). Hundreds more were killed and wounded in the process as well,” Saree said.
Reuters news agency also reported that the Iranian-backed group in Yemen claimed to have arrested several Saudi army officers. Yemen has been embroiled in a civil war since 2015, which the UN says it is the biggest humanitarian disaster in the world.
The proxy war between Iran and Saudi Arabia in Yemen
The Saudi-led coalition has been fighting since the beginning of the battle against Houthi militias that dominate part of Yemen. Yemeni insurgents are backed by the Iran, and military clashes in the country are one of the proxy wars between Tehran and Riyadh.
The Islamic Republic has repeatedly denied equipping and training Houthi militants and calling its support for the Houthi Shiites “spiritual.” Iran’s regional rivals and their western allies have so far provided much evidence that appears to confirm Iran’s involvement in the Yemeni military conflict.
Houthi insurgents have stepped up their attacks in recent months on targets inside Saudi Arabia, claiming that the group’s recent attack on oil facilities, which cut oil production by half for a short time, was the work of the group. Riyadh and its allies have blamed Iran for the drone attack on Saudi’s largest Aramco oilfield. The Islamic Republic denies any involvement in the attacks, citing Saudi involvement in Yemen’s internal affairs as a cause of instability and tension in the region.
As of Sunday afternoon, independent sources have not confirmed the alleged Houthi attack on Najran in southwestern Saudi Arabia, and Riyadh has remained silent. The Houthis have been in control of the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, for the last five years. Saudi Arabia and its allies cite the purpose of military intervention in Yemen as supporting President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi’s legitimate government.